Friday, August 30, 2013

Hidden Community

Until I decided to have surgery most of my friends didn't know I was sick, and it's only been a year and a half since I began openly talking about endometriosis. What I've discovered is that I'm part of this hidden community: the community of those who have suffered. To one who has known pain, it is restful to be with someone who can look you in the face and say, "I get it." It is restful to know you're not gonna hear, "But you don't look sick!" or any of the other well-meaning-but-misguided maxims people throw around (humans don't know what to do with brokenness). I don't ever want to be in pain like I that again, but I'm really grateful to be a source of comfort and rest to others who have or still are suffering. I saw he relief on another face today as I spoke with a man about what it's like to be in so much physical torment that you don't understand how you're still alive. "You understand," he said.

Yes, sir. Yes sir, I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment