Thursday, July 19, 2012

Using military terminology in regards to sex will get you nowhere.

I know not all of my blog readers are really active in the blogging world, but in the theological blogsphere there's been a bit of a firestorm over a post that Jared Wilson wrote on The Gospel Coalition's website.  I find the post generally uninteresting as it falls within the main themes of complementarian thought, to which I am not a subscriber, but basically he's arguing that men and women who step outside of conservative relationship roles are opening themselves up to rape fantasy.  Whatever.  We could take a week debating that, and it's not the point of my post.  Rather I want to comment on the quote that generated the most heat:

"A man penetrates, conquers, colonizes, plants. A woman receives, surrenders, accepts." -Douglas Wilson

Mr. Wilson, how about instead we say a woman surrounds, entraps, takes hostages, and a man gives up and gives in to captivity? 

Two sides to a coin, buddy Douglas.  Two sides to a coin.

3 comments:

  1. Rachel Held Evans had some great posts about this as well. I think you'd really like her blog, if you're not already reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If this is what complementarianism turns out to be, then I'm not one. Doug Wilson, in my (and others') opinion, does not represent the mainstream of evangelical thought in most of his views.

    Here's what troubles me more: if sexual union in marriage is a picture of Christ and the church, then a Calvinist man is justified in coming into his wife without her consent, because that's what God does in salvation--he comes into and regenerates a person without that person's consent.

    So, therefore, if it is wrong for a man to come into his wife without her consent, then Calvinism is false, and one can resist the Holy Spirit's desire to come inside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen, sister!! I was just reading about this on Rachel Held Evan's site!! I really like a lot of things she has to say.

    ReplyDelete