Friday, August 3, 2012

The way we are with God

"I have decided," he said slowly, his head rolled back as he sat on the couch strung out on heroine, "to give your friend R.A. a chance."  This, to my friend, his older sister, who told him she would, "Never do that to R.A."

He's good looking.
He's intelligent.
He's a raging drug addict who sleeps with a loaded gun under his pillow.
If he didn't love heroine more than food or family or life itself I might be willing to go on a date with him, but as is he doesn't have a snowball's chance in Phoenix. I'm no prize and I'm willing to overlook other people's issues, but I am not taking on a drug addict.  I watched my sister go through that; not happening.

Anyway it's a bit funny to think of a man lost in addiction giving a non-addict "a chance".  
I have to smile.

And then I stop and think, 
"This is how we are with God."

We are beautiful, no doubt.  How couldn't we be?  We're the Imago Dei, and as long as we bear His image we are beautiful, if broken, creatures. But God is too good for us.  Yet we sit there in our self-addiction saying to God, "I have decided to give you a chance."

How God must smile. 

2 comments:

  1. TRUE STORY.

    Also: be sure to recall your own post of July 26, 2012, should this guy offer you another chance while you're coming out of anesthesia.

    ReplyDelete